Saturday, February 6, 2010

The February Kitchen




I love winter. Yes, I do, and yet by the end of January, I am ready for Spring! A couple of days ago, as usual, I was deciding what to make for dinner. Ok, so, what do I have that needs to be used? The potatoes I have stored are starting to sprout, and so I need to start using them more rapidly so they won't go to waste. Here is what I made:

Winter Stew

1 pound ground venison
2 Tablespoons lard (because the venison is so very lean. If I used ground beef, I probably would not need to add more fat)
1/2 diced onion
A few potatoes, cubed
1 pint corn, not drained
1/2 cup water

Melt the lard in a good-sized heavy bottomed or cast iron pan. Add the onion and saute' until clear. Add the venison and cook until the meat is all browned, chopping and stirring from time to time.
Add potatoes, corn and water

Cover the pot and let simmer for 15 minutes.

In the meantime, make the following:

White Sauce

2 cups milk
2 Tablespoons butter
3 Tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

Melt butter in sauce pan. Add flour and stir briskly until smooth. Gradually add the milk, stirring thoroughly as you go so it won't get lumpy. When all milk is incorporated, bring to a low boil, stirring constantly so it won't scorch. Add the basil, salt and pepper.

Now, pour the white sauce over the the meat and potato mixture and stir well. Simmer carefully until it is nice and thick, stirring quite often.

Top with a mixture of dried bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated cheese. Bake, uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30 minutes.

I served this with cooked spinach.

In the summertime, I like much lighter food, but this time of year, when it is so cold and the outside work is strenuous, the more filling hearty dishes seem to work better for us.

2 comments:

  1. That stew looks yummy.
    I planted a bunch of seeds today. I am sure hopeing I am doing this right.
    debbieo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it works out too! Keep me posted.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...