Sunday, March 7, 2010

Preserving Family History




I have hundreds of old family photographs, some going back to the late 1800's. Most of them are in albums, and some are loose. The albums are crumbling. Thanks to my daughter helping me buy supplies, I am finally able to start putting these precious heirlooms into photo-safe storage. It is going to take quite a lot of time, and I spent several hours on it between yesterday and today. The nostalgia sweeps over me in waves. This is a very tender experience, and I am looking forward to the many days to come that I will have to spend on it.

How grateful I am to the people who came before. Because they lived, I live. Because they were goodly people, I have a decent, good life. Of the generation behind me, there is only one person still living, my Aunt who lives in the neighboring state. When I get this project done, we will take the new albums to show her. I am really looking forward to that!

I am using acid free, black cardstock, acid free sheet protectors, photo corners and on some of the heavier portraits, little double sided sticky patches. I also bought some pens with white pigment ink to write on the pages. We happen to have 2 very sturdy, large, 3-ring binders.

I am going to enjoy this.

3 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see what you have done when I come in a couple of weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old photo's. At our last family reunion I saw one of my grandma when she was about two or three playing in the water. She looked the same. I miss her so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so sweet. You must have wonderful memories of her.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...