Friday, August 6, 2010

Lest you think...

that I am some sort of super woman... oh my goodness! I sort of overdid it last week and got too tired, so decided to take this week "off", which meant no gardening or canning. I went out this morning to dig a few potatoes and get some cucumbers for a friend. :-0 The weeds, in my absence, have grown up above my head! This is due, in part, to former years of neglect. They say that if you are able to take care of things properly and control the weeds thoroughly, it will take at least 7 years to get rid of a crop of weed seeds. I imagine it would actually take longer than that. In spite of the condition of everything, there are still tomatoes, in abundance, cucumbers, beans, potatoes, sweet potatoes, corn, squashes and pumpkins, broccoli, leeks, peppers and basil waiting for "someone" to harvest them. I picked the current marigold blossoms this morning and put them in the freezer. I plan to have an outdoor dye day within a few weeks - to dye wool for spinning. I am too embarrassed to post a photo of the garden. Sigh... well, I guess if the weeds are this happy, the soil must be pretty healthy too. Yes, let's look on the bright side!

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad you are getting produce. My garden is wacko this year. The cukes are only about 6 in. tall. The squash is about 12 in. The tomatoes in the greenhouse are taking over but few tomatoes. Oh well. I have a lot going this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you had your soil tested lately? Have you had a successful garden on that plot previously? I am sorry your garden hasn't been good. I wish you lived next door. We could share.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I was there to come work in the garden! I miss that... although, after about 57 seconds in the humid heat I'd probably melt...

    ReplyDelete
  4. You'd turn into a sugar cube. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elie, I'm glad to know I'm not alone!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...