Saturday, August 21, 2010

Little Knobbly Cabbages

Here is a recipe my neighbor gave me last year:



In the garden, I found a few smallish, pathetic looking cabbages and also a few little green peppers:



I trimmed the damaged parts of the cabbages off, and quartered them and cut out the cores. Here is one of the tiny red cabbages on the cutting board:



The recipe calls for celery, which I don't have, so I decided onions might be nice. Here they are:



Here are all the vegetables waiting to be shredded in the food processor. You could just as well use a sharp knife, if you don't own a processor.



Compared with the original recipe, I could only estimate how much cabbage I actually had. I put all the vegetables in a large bowl, added 1 Tablespoon of sea salt and stirred it together, then put two trays of ice on top and covered it with a cloth and let it rest for an hour.



Next, I removed the ice and poured the contents of the bowl into a big colander to drain and I pushed down on the vegetables to get the water out:



In a large saucepan I combined 3 cups honey, 1 cup sugar, 3 cups apple cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon celery seed, 1 Tablespoon mustard seed and 1 cup water. I brought that to a boil and then simmered it for a couple of minutes:



When it was done, I let it cool for 20 minutes and then poured it over the vegetables:



Then I filled 3 quart-sized Zip-Lock freezer bags, and put them in the freezer:



It is so nice to have this to pull out for special occasions, like Thanksgiving dinner.

So, here is the recipe, tweaked for what I had on hand ~

Frozen Slaw

Approximately 3 heads of cabbage
2 green peppers
3 red onions

Trim cabbages and peppers, peel onions. Shred all in a food processor or with a sharp knife.

Place all the the vegetables into a large bowl and add 1 Tablespoon of sea salt and stir together. Place 2 trays of ice on top of the vegetables and let them sit for 1 hour, covered.

In the meantime, combine the following:

3 cups apple cider vinegar
3 cups honey
1 cup sugar
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon celery seed
1 Tablespoon mustard seed

In a large saucepan, bring this mixture to a boil and then simmer for 2 minutes. Let it sit off the heat for at least 20 minutes.

Remove ice and drain the vegetables in a colander very well. Return them to the bowl.

Pour the dressing over the vegetables and then fill freezer bags.

It is good, partially or thoroughly thawed, and if you like, you can drain it and add a little mayonnaise when you serve it.

4 comments:

  1. I made some freezer slaw a few weeks ago for the first time. Just pulled out a jar today to thaw for Sunday dinner, took a taste and really like it. Plan on making more, will be so nice this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheryl, could you share your recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I'm happy to find your blog this morning. I didn't grow cabbage this year because I failed miserably at doing anything with the 4 large purple heads I harvested last year... although the guinea pigs enjoyed it thoroughly! thank you for your nice comment on my Honest Kitchen Post!
    Something else we have in common... COOKING OUT SIDE! I got my hubby a lodge cast iron dutch oven for his birthday. He became interested in it through his leadership with the Boy Scouts so we plan on trying a few recipes this fall OUT SIDE! Lastly, we love been with bacon soup at our house and I'm headed back to your post on your home made version...!
    I'll be back!
    Dandelion wishes,
    Deborah Jean



    I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Deborah! How wonderful about the dutch oven. Those things last forever! And they are very versatile. I would be very interesting to see what you learn to cook in it.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...