Friday, November 11, 2011

Stir-Fry

I am going to tell you how I make "Stir-Fry" for us. Here you can see my cast-iron wok, heating on the stove. It is enameled on the outside, but smooth cast iron on the inside and works beautifully. I bought it on clearance for only $10 a number of years ago. What luck! :) There are many kinds of woks available, and even if you don't own a wok, you can make stir fry very well in a heavy-bottomed skillet, so don't let that stop you.



When I want to make stir-fry, I look and see what vegetables I might have on hand that I could use. Here is what I had this time:

1 large onion, sliced thin
1 turnip, peeled, quartered and sliced
1 small carrot, peeled and sliced
a fist-sized chunk of cabbage, sliced
1/4 of a head of cauliflower, sliced

To make a stir-fry, heat some fat (I used lard, maybe 2 T) in your wok while you prepare your vegetables. Choose fat that can stand high heat... so lard, ghee, coconut oil would all be good choices.

Start adding the vegetables. Add the toughest ones first and let them soften (stirring) and then add the others. Stirring constantly, cook the vegetables for a while until they wilt slightly, then add any meat that you might like. I added 1/2 # frozen fully-cooked shrimp. Stir and cook until your meat is done ( or in this case, just until the shrimp were heated through.)



We served this over oven baked brown rice with naturally brewed soy sauce.

This concept is so very versatile. You can use just about any kind of fresh or frozen vegetables and any kind of small pieces of meat that you enjoy. Meat is not necessary, of course. I've made many stir-fries without meat.

It is quick and easy to do. Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love your wok. I use cast iron to cook too, I didnt even know they made cast iron wok's.
    ebbieo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cast iron skillet and love it, have never seen a cast iron wok.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny~ I have stir fry on my mind and then you have this post!! Wonderful! I think I am making stir fry tomorrow!!

    Love the wok. Mine is a k-mart special...but works fine!

    Jennifer

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...