Friday, December 9, 2011

Tip - Saving the fat



From the Weston A. Price Foundation:

"Beef and Mutton Tallows are 50-55% saturated, about 40% monounsaturated and contain small amounts of the polyunsaturates, usually less than 3%. Suet, which is the fat from the cavity of the animal, is 70-80% saturated. Suet and tallow are very stable fats and can be used for frying. Traditional cultures valued these fats for their health benefits. They are a good source of antimicrobial palmitoleic acid."

I buy grass-fed beef locally. Grass-fed beef is "a different animal" when it comes to nutrition. It contains high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, very very good for you, and CLA, which is a proven cancer fighter. The fat in grass-fed beef is good for you, contrary to what the conventional "wisdom" will assert. It is more expensive than what is available at the supermarket, but it is also much healthier. Needless to say, I don't want to waste anything. 2 days ago, I made a big pizza. I used grass-fed ground beef on it. After I cooked it in a cast iron skillet, I needed to drain off the excess fat, but didn't want to waste that, as it is a very healthy fat. I drained it through a wire strainer into a bowl and then poured it into a little jar that I put in the refrigerator. That is the fat I will use for frying eggs, or sauteing other things, until it is gone. A little, but I think important savings!

For more information about this topic, as well as a real education on the role of fats in nutrition, please read this article ~ The Skinny on Fats

If you are interested in my new "NOT SOUR Sourdough Pizza Crust" recipe, go here. This makes enough dough for a large pizza, and is very good. My husband doesn't like sour things. Although made with sourdough, and very healthy, this crust is NOT sour. He was very pleased!

2 comments:

  1. The pizza looks yummy.
    debbieo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pizza looks amazing! I do the same with the leftover beef fat. But I use it to make small gorditas. Mixing corn dough, salt and the beef fat. They taste so good.

    Take care,

    Mely

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...