Saturday, April 21, 2012

Vanilla Extract - Report

I promised to let you know how my homemade vanilla extract turned out.  The original plan was to let the vanilla beans soak for 1 month.  It took 6 weeks.  I am sure this would vary depending on your vanilla beans and the temperature in your cupboard.  Anyway, it is done and I am very pleased!  I plan to just leave the beans in the vodka as I use it and perhaps even add another one or two beans when I can get some.  When most of it is used up, I will add more vodka to the bottle.  Here it is as of this morning:


4 comments:

  1. Thank you for your awesome blog! I love making homemade vanilla but I generally use glycerin and water instead of vodka. It seems to work good and I never have the problem of it burning off in hot foods. I have wanted to try vodka but never have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jacque! I would be very interested to know how to make it with glycerin and water if you could share that method. I'm glad you like my blog. :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It flavors foods nicely. I want to buy a couple more beans to put in there next time I'm at Pat's Bulk Foods. The richer the better, I think.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...