Monday, February 4, 2013

Freezer Stew...

From time to time, I need to use up the little bits I've tucked into our freezer above the refrigerator.  Things like sliced chicken leftover from other meals, packages of small amounts of vegetables, etc...  Today was the day.  Here is what I used:

3 small packages of chicken meat
1 package of frozen corn kernels from our garden
a small amount of frozen peas from the store
Some potatoes that I had cut up and soaked for making French fries
Frozen green peppers from the garden

Here is all of that.
 
To that, I added the following:

About 1/2 cup of "sun dried tomatoes" that I had put up in olive oil in the fridge last summer
1/4 cup butter
1 small onion, diced
1 pint of leftover homemade beef broth out of the fridge
About 1 Tablespoon of my preserved basil
1/2 teaspoon RealSalt
A few cranks of pepper

... and right before serving, I added 1/2 cup of sour cream (it has been languishing in the fridge since Christmas Day!)  :-0   But it was still perfectly fine.

Here's what I did:

In a cast iron Dutch oven, I melted the butter and added the tomatoes, diced onion and diced green peppers and sauteed that until the onions were fairly tender.






Next, I added everything else except the salt, pepper and sour cream.




 This, I brought to a boil, put on a lid and allowed it to simmer for about 20 minutes.


 When everything was tender, I salted it to taste, added a little freshly ground black pepper and then stirred in the sour cream.




Then I ate some.


My husband ate some too.  I have to say, this is not the BEST thing I've ever made, but it was satisfactory and a good method for using up those bits of food that might otherwise go to waste.  The rest of it is in a big jar in the refrigerator.  It will provide at least 2 more meals for us.


Please don't even try to copy my actual recipe.  Just pay attention to the method and use up your own cache of leftover food!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...