Monday, March 2, 2015

My new spindle!

I mentioned before that I know how to spin.  My spinning wheel is an Ashford Traditional, and my favorite.  I've tried others, through the years, but the Ashford and I get along very very well.  I have a new spindle, however.  I've had a few "drop" spindles, and they are nice, but this new spindle is really pleasurable to use.  It is a "Phang" spindle.  This is a supported spindle.  You rest it in a small bowl on the table, chair or floor of where you are sitting, instead of having the spindle hang from your yarn as you spin.  I wish I had realized how nice it is to use a supported spindle long ago!  I found this one on an Etsy shop here:  http://www.etsy.com/shop/tinasangoras.  As I've looked around the web, watched YouTube videos, etc.  I see that I could probably actually carve one for myself.  (Note to self - this would be a nice project for a summer's day in the woods. )

It will take a while to get skillful with this spindle, but there is no hurry... in fact, it is soothing and gentle to use.  This particular style of spindle originated in India.

Here is mine, with a little yarn I've managed to make with it:


6 comments:

  1. OOH I would love to learn to spin! Thanks for the info- maybe someday! : ) Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How exciting! Back when our first child was a tiny baby, I read a book called, "The Joy of Spinning." You can get a copy on Amazon.com for 1 cent plus the $3.99 shipping: http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Spinning-Fireside-Book/dp/0671208594/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1425350038&sr=1-1&keywords=The+joy+of+spinning It's a wonderful book. It does not teach you how to use a hand spindle, but that is what YouTube is for. ;) When I learned, it was from a new friend, many years ago. But the book will tell you basics about how to process fleece and how to spin. There are other books, of course, but I've always liked that one. It also has information about doing natural dyeing. Good luck, and I wish you lived next door, I could teach you how so easily!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the book info- I will get a copy at that price! I am with Carol about you having classes- haha! I am a sort of self taught knitter/ crocheter so I would love to take it to the next level! I love your new bread pans! Does it help them be more wide than tall? Angela

      Delete
    3. I wish I could have classes! Just friends together learning, not a pay for it situation. That's why I've never monetized my blog. It's not about me making money. I bought the pans at Walmart, and like I said, they are not strictly speaking bread pans, but I do like them very much, and more wide than tall seems good. Also, the pans I was using are cast iron. These glass pans brown the bottom of the loaves just right. Some people say to cook at a lower temp in glass, but I don't do that.

      Delete
  2. Very cool. I so wish we lived closer. I would love to learn from you. My sister's mother in law had sheep that she spun the wool from and then weaved into tablecloths, place mats and other lovely items. I was working then and did not have time to drive two hours away to learn from her, but wish I had. She is now deceased. I learn better by doing and asking lots of questions as I like in-person lessons. Please do post some pictures of some of your projects and your spinning wheel too so I can enjoy and live precariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. I will! Do look online for a shop in your area where you could learn to spin.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...