Friday, July 1, 2016

Sauerkraut 2016 - I had help!

Our granddaughter is visiting us and today, she helped me make this year's sauerkraut!  She picked the cabbages and while I was cleaning them, she shredded them all in the food processor.  Then she swept the floor.  She loves to cook and enjoyed it.



If you are new to my blog, you can find the recipe for sauerkraut HERE.  Today's batch was 6 pounds.  I have a big jar full left from last year and it is still delicious and nicely crisp.  Kraut lasts a LONG time in cold storage. Here is the jar from last year.


2 comments:

  1. How fun to have your granddaughter helping. I just looked at your sauerkraut recipe and have a question.Do you have to rinse it after letting it sit with the salt?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Cheryl, you don't rinse it. The kraut needs just that much salt to ferment properly and not spoil. 3 Tablespoons of salt for each 5 pounds of shredded cabbage.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...