Saturday, June 30, 2018

June 30, 2018 - Garden, Etc....

I went out this morning and took a lot of pictures of the garden and a few other things, so you can see how lovely everything is here on the last day of June.

Kitty greeted me when I went out the back door this morning...


...to hang up laundry.  It is supposed to get well up in the 90's today!


And since we've had plenty of rain along with the heat, the sweet corn is VERY happy!


This year, for the first time, we are growing THIS squash.  I am very excited to see how these turn out! 


Here is some very nice eggplant growing on the hugulkultur bed..


A distant view of the whole vegetable garden:


My favorite day lilies:


Corn silk:


Cucumbers:


Okra - I love it.  It looks quite exotic to me.


Okra blossom:


My one and only Jericho lettuce plant.  It is a volunteer.  Jericho lettuce is wonderful.  It stands the heat and tastes very nice even in the heat of Summer.  I pick off the outer leaves as I need them.


New spinach crop for fall:


Here is the row of sweet potatoes, inter-planted with onions to discourage bunny rabbits:


A row of sweet sorghum.  I am going to attempt to make sorghum syrup.


Our sweet dog, Badger:



Crayfish hole in the grass:


Two of the chickens.. I was letting them free range... until they found the garden!  Poor things.


I have begun experimenting with stinging nettles for fiber this year.  Here are some of the fibers that I stripped and they are hanging to dry.  I have no experience with this, at all, so I am trying to figure out what will work best for me.  Did you know that during the 1st World War, the German army's uniforms were made from nettles?


A bit of cordage I made:


And a swatch I wove on my little pin loom:


It is hard to see here, but this is a side view of the bower my garden fairy and I made for her little boy out of basket willow branches.  There are two benches in there.


I hope you enjoyed this glimpse into what is going on here right now.  













.






4 comments:

  1. Your garden looks great! I'm in upper Illinois and we have seen 108-115 with heat index, not to mention the humidity. It's hot!! Thank you for your info on the Liquid Silver for lyme disease. It has made such a difference in my Henry's life, thanks again, Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. I am happy to know it has helped Henry! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. That all looks so nice! I can't wait to see how big that squash gets!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...