Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Early spring garden 2019


A couple of years ago, my daughter came and helped me establish a "Hugelkultur" bed.  It got up to 70 degrees here today, and I just had to go out into the garden! I worked up the soil there, just a little, and added 12-12-12 fertilizer, pelleted lime and some compost from my compost bin where I throw all the food scraps. Then, I planted garlic seeds, beets, rutabagas, Sugar Ann peas, radishes, Michili cabbage, kale, spinach and lettuce.  I have no idea if any of this will amount to much, but it surely was fun. I had some floating row cover and used all of that to cover most of the bed, because we will be getting rain and I hope that will protect things from just being washed away. In the upper part of the picture, you can see some geodes.  They are surrounding what I hope will be my one surviving rhubarb plant. 


See that?  It's a clear glass bowl that I have used as a cloche over some parsley.  In spite of a very bitterly cold winter, the parsley survived!  I've picked it a few times through the winter season.


Here it is.  Not much, but it makes my gardener's heart happy. :)


And here is the garlic that I planted from cloves last October.  I think every one of them came up!

It is not officially spring, yet, but things are coming up and I'm ready... more than ready!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...