Friday, April 12, 2019

Roasted dandelion root "coffee."

I am not a coffee drinker.  I'm not even a tea drinker.  Still, though, a nice warm comforting beverage is something I enjoy.  I dry mint and stinging nettles for herbal tea. A couple of days ago, I watched this wonderful YouTube video about making "Dandelion Coffee."  I did exactly what he said to do and it worked perfectly! It makes a very nice warm drink.  By the way, never drink HOT drinks.  That can lead to cancer of the esophagus.  

Here is the link to the video I mentioned: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HiGlA2tlh2c&t=470s



I didn't have very many dandelions here at our home, so I went to the original Garden Fairy's home and she helped me.  In fact, she did almost all of the digging and getting the soil off of the roots.  As you can see, I brought them home and covered them with water and let them soak for a few hours to help get the soil off.  The Fairy has clay soil, so that was not easy.  

After soaking and rinsing, I cut the roots right off of the plants.  And then I scrubbed them carefully under running water.  Here they are.


I am not going to give you a complete tutorial here.  Please refer to the link above.  Here is what they looked like after I chopped them up in my food processor.


There are roughly 4 cups of chopped roots in that bowl.

Here you can see how I spread them on a baking pan.  This is a "half sheet" pan and worked out very well for my 4 cups of chopped roots.


When they had been dehydrated in the oven, and then roasted, here is the product that I ended up with.


I'm very pleased with this. It tastes very nice to me.  I am hoping to make some more soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...