Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Tiny Tip.... how to not waste perfectly good cake...


3 days ago, I made this really yummy and healthy "Purple Sweet Potato Cake."  
With only my husband and I here to eat it, it was going to last for 4 days. I kept it, covered, in the refrigerator. On the third day (yesterday) it was tasting a little stale, so I knew it would be disappointing today, and yet, it was made with very special ingredients, so I didn't want to waste any!

Here is what I did.  I put my portion in a bowl and heated it up in our microwave oven.  Then, I poured a little milk over it and ate it with a spoon.  It was very nice.  I wanted to share this tip with you.  I imagine it would work for other cakes and maybe muffins also. I bet it would have been even better with some cream.
And here is the recipe!  This cake was delicious, not overly sweet and very moist.  :)

Purple Sweet Potato Cake

Sift together:

2 3/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt

Mix together the following:

1 cup cooked mashed purple sweet potato
1/2 cup honey
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup sour cream
1/3 cup oil (I used avocado but canola would be good too)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Add the dry to the wet and mix just until everything is moist.  Don't overdo it.

Butter and flour 2 round cake pans.

Divide the batter between the pans and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.  Check it then with a toothpick.  It might need more time (mine didn't)

Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes and then transfer to cooling rack.  Cool completely.

"Frosting"

4 ounces softened cream cheese
4 ounces softened butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
"Some" honey until it is as sweet as you would like.

Beat well and put some between the layers and then all over the cake.  It wasn't very thick.  I also put some chopped walnuts on top of the cake, covered it all with plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator overnight.

I hope you will try this.  I have not done so, but I bet it would be good with orange sweet potatoes, too, and maybe use pumpkin pie spice in it.

Enjoy!



5 comments:

  1. That is a great tip! I have never seen purple sweet potatoes. Do you think regular ones would work?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Angela. I can't imagine why it would not work. I think I would use some pumpkin pie spice in it if I did it with orange sweet potatoes. Please let me know if you try it!

      Delete
  2. Kim Shee nee you are very welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Yolanda,
    I’ve returned somewhat to my blog. I pray you are safe and healthy. Jeff is doing well although he had about four TIA’S a couple weeks ago. We got his blood pressure under control and he is doing much better. He doesn’t have near the energy he used to though.
    Take care.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very nice to hear from you and I will definitely look at your blog. I'm sorry your husband has been through so much. God bless all of you!!!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...