Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Our Whole Food Plant Based diet...

 Just over a year ago, my husband and I switched to a "whole food plant based diet." Some would call it "vegan" but it is more than that.  It's not just avoiding animal products, although that is part of it.  We only eat "whole foods" such as whole grains, fruits, vegetables, legumes (beans and lentils, etc.), nuts and seeds. We use no added oils, and only a very modest amount of added salt and natural sweeteners. (maple syrup, molasses and a little honey)  I use unsweetened applesauce instead of oil in baked goods, and flaxseed meal as a substitute for eggs. I sauté in water or vegetable broth (yes, it really works!)  I ran across some information about this on Facebook and became intrigued. 

I know that food preferences and addictions get in the way of most people when they are trying to restore and protect their health. It's an interesting thing.  After 3 weeks of eating this way, my husband said, "You know.  I don't crave chocolate anymore."  You could have knocked me over with a feather.  What that tells me is that his intense chocolate cravings were being caused by some deficiency in his diet.  

More than 2/3 of American adults are overweight or obese. This, of course, leads to heart disease, diabetes, hypertension, auto-immune disease, cancer, arthritis and most of the other things we can be afflicted with as we age.  This way of eating is the only way that has been proven scientifically (and for many years) to actually reverse heart disease, cure diabetes and help to prevent all those other terrible chronic conditions. 

My husband had open heart surgery (quadruple bypass) about 6 years ago. Since then, he's had stents placed two times, so things weren't looking good. Now, he's definitely improving. The pain he used to get when we'd walk (in his legs) no longer bothers him. The swelling he used to get above his socks that he noticed when he took them off at night is gone. His blood pressure plummeted and he's currently taking much less blood pressure medicine and it's looking like he might need to decrease it some more soon. His cholesterol, which ran about 400, is now well below 200. He was able to drop another of his medications. The angina is all but gone.  This is all after only 13 months.

And here is what I've noticed with my own health.  I have much more energy.  I am 72 years old.  I can work hard outside in the garden for hours and not get tired.  Sometimes I get tired of being hot and come in for a while, but I do not get worn out.  The macular puckering in my eyes that was blurring my vision seems to be gone.  I can see clearly now and colors are more vibrant. The varicose veins in my left leg that appeared during my last pregnancy have improved and stopped advancing.  The spider veins that were appearing around my ankles are all but gone.  The osteoarthritis in my hands is some better.  I am able to knit and crochet now, which is something I could not do for a number of years.  I was able to quit taking the products I was using for hot flashes.  I still have them, but they are very mild and infrequent and not a problem anymore.  My cholesterol went from 285 to 180 in a few months.  All my other blood indicators are excellent. My blood pressure is very good.  My hair and nails grow faster.  :) 

For me, this has been easy.  I am that type of person. For some others, it may be more of a struggle, but I tell you what.... it is SO worth it.  And we no longer miss any of the foods we used to eat.  It's so strange.  There are many books written on this subject.  

I just wanted to share this will all of you just in case you might be interested in looking into it. I suggest that your read this book: The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall.

 https://smile.amazon.com/Starch-Solution-Regain-Health-Weight-ebook/dp/B007PF7MGS/ref=sr_1_2?crid=HURJT0PMHYRI&dchild=1&keywords=the+starch+solution+by+dr+mcdougall&qid=1626269626&sprefix=The+Starch+%2Caps%2C227&sr=8-2

There are also many wonderful cookbooks availabe.

I also suggest that you watch this film.  This is what got us started on this path. You will be amazed.

https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-film/

We also take a Vitamin B12 supplement once a week.  That is a whole different topic that I won't get into right now.  Truth be told, everyone should be supplementing with B12.

Good luck!





13 comments:

  1. Lovely photo of the two of you, you look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind! Thank you, Melynda@Scratch Made Food!

      Delete
    2. Anywhere near Columbus?

      Delete
    3. Yes. We are southeast of Columbus, Indiana

      Delete
  2. I switched to that lifestyle 5 years ago. Many of my former ailments are gone. I wrote a small cookbok which you can get on Amazon ("I'm Gonna Live Forever"). I strongly recommend Dr. Joel Fuhrman books on the subject.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on your book! Yes, I have read Fuhrman as well as a few others. It's fascinating.

      Delete
  3. After being a vegetarian for 40 years, I switched to a whole foods plant-based vegan diet and lost 14 pounds and have never been happier. So happy to read your journey .

    ReplyDelete
  4. I too along with my husband have gone whole food plant based for the last two years. Before that I was vegan for years but still eating some of the wrong foods. I was diagnosed with Fatty Liver disease at the beginning of last year, so I switched to this way of eating. I follow Dr Gregers recipes in his "how not to die cookbook". I have never felt better. Husband lowered his cholesterol from eating this way and doesn't take any medication for it anymore.

    It is a great way of life.
    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's wonderful, Tania! Just within the last week we've realized that my husbands angina pain is completely gone! I'm so grateful.

      Delete
  5. Nice blog!

    How Switching From Monoculture To Other Ways Of Farming Can Help?

    Too many plants of the same species on the same field suck certain nutrients in the soil and affect fertility.

    Overcome this problem with the blog: Switching From Monoculture To Other Ways Of Farming Can Help

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Your article put me in mind of the "Three Sisters garden" - a perfect blending of 3 different crops that benefit each other!

      Delete
  6. Nice blog!

    How Switching From Monoculture To Other Ways Of Farming Can Help?

    Too many plants of the same species on the same field suck certain nutrients in the soil and affect fertility.

    Overcome this problem with the blog: Switching From Monoculture To Other Ways Of Farming Can Help

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...