Thursday, December 10, 2009

Kefir - Chapter 1

Have you ever heard of "kefir"? It is a cultured milk product similar to yogurt or buttermilk, but different, of course, with a vastly more interesting history and loads of health claims. Last year, not long after I got my 2 milk goats, I ran into the concept of kefir, and bought some kefir "grains" on eBay. Kefir grains are little gelatinous globs that are a community of beneficial bacteria and yeasts. When you steep them in milk, after 24 hours you have liquid kefir. You strain out the grains (which continue to multiply happily) and let the milk sit at room temperature for another day before drinking, storing, or using it. If you would like to read more about kefir than you thought possible, google for "Dom's Kefir Making Site." As I understand, the grains were present in the Caucasus region of Russia for so long that the origins have been lost in history. They are called, "The grains of the Prophet Mohammed." No one knows how they came to be, but there are theories, one of which is that the Biblical manna fell into some milk. They were confined to that area of the world, being held sacred, until the 20th Century when someone got them out and they spread across the whole world, and now you can buy them on Ebay, for goodness' sake! In fact, that is where I sell my extras. More to come...

5 comments:

  1. Interesting! We love kefir and have just started making our own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. had never heard of kefir before. i can't wait to try using it once we get our goats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting, I used to buy Kefir back in Alaska all the time, have never seen it for sale out here. (this is Elwin, BTW)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I compiled my archive of research articles regarding kefir, they cover basically everything, health benefits, anti-cancer. structure, and other stuff.
    I'm not sure how long the dl will be up but hopefully long enough.
    http://www.fast-files.com/getfile.aspx?file=58199

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I went to that link, though, and it won't allow me to download the file! :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...