Friday, January 22, 2010

Update on Kefir - Chapter 7



As I think I mentioned before, if you would like your kefir grains to propagate more quickly, you can gently pull them apart and return them to the brewing jar. I did this about 3 months ago. The pieces I had after dividing them would be about the size of a peanut. Here, in my hand, you see what ONE grain looks like this morning. They can get very large. The big flattish areas you see are actually more like balloons, being hollow inside. Pretty amazing!

3 comments:

  1. how do I slow mine down? LOL
    I use about a tablespoon of grains to culture a quart of milk... and they double every week! I am running out of friends to give grains to, and there is now way we can go through more than a quart a day.
    That is a great photo of the grains, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello there! I accidentally froze my grains by putting them too close to the 'cold' spot in the fridge. Will they be ok? Also, I need to try pulling them apart because mine NEVER grow! We leave our grains on the counter for about 4 days in the milk and it makes a yogurt substance. We put it in fresh fruit shakes in the morning. Everyone loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifer, some people successfully freeze their kefir. I only tried it once and it didn't work, but that doesn't mean it won't for you. I would suggest you put your grains into some fresh milk, just enough to cover and let it sit 24 hours and then drain it and do it again and see if your grains will start. What kind of milk do you use? They should grow. Mine grow like crazy!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...