Kefir sourdough bread ~ 2 loaves
1. Mix together 1 cup liquid kefir and 1 cup whole wheat flour and let it sit covered with a towel for 2 days.
2. Mix together
All of the starter
2 cups warm water
4 cups whole wheat flour
3. Let that rise until double in volume (takes a few hours) and then add:
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons sea salt
Unbleached white flour - enough to make the dough kneadable (is that a word?)
4. Knead on surface dusted with the unbleached flour, adding enough, a little at a time to prevent sticking. Knead for 10 minutes.
5. Wash bowl, oil well and return dough. Cover with damp cloth and let sit in a warm place until the dough is double in volume.
6. Form into 2 loaves and place them in oiled medium sized bread pans.
7. Allow to rise until double and then place in a preheated 450 degree F. oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 350 degrees F. Bake approximately 45 minutes.
8. Cool loaves on wire rack.
This bread keeps well, is only slightly sour, raises nicely. It freezes well too. Makes fabulous toast!