Thursday, December 17, 2009

Kefir - Chapter 5

Kefir sourdough bread ~ 2 loaves

1. Mix together 1 cup liquid kefir and 1 cup whole wheat flour and let it sit covered with a towel for 2 days.

2. Mix together
All of the starter
2 cups warm water
4 cups whole wheat flour

3. Let that rise until double in volume (takes a few hours) and then add:
2 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 Tablespoons honey
2 teaspoons sea salt
Unbleached white flour - enough to make the dough kneadable (is that a word?)

4. Knead on surface dusted with the unbleached flour, adding enough, a little at a time to prevent sticking. Knead for 10 minutes.

5. Wash bowl, oil well and return dough. Cover with damp cloth and let sit in a warm place until the dough is double in volume.

6. Form into 2 loaves and place them in oiled medium sized bread pans.

7. Allow to rise until double and then place in a preheated 450 degree F. oven and immediately turn the temperature down to 350 degrees F. Bake approximately 45 minutes.

8. Cool loaves on wire rack.

This bread keeps well, is only slightly sour, raises nicely. It freezes well too. Makes fabulous toast!

5 comments:

  1. This looks very interesting. And I admit it looks gross but I like new things so I would be one of those crazy people who would try it in every thing! I wish you were close so you could give me lesson in person! Maybe I could come in the summer with Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be wonderful, Laura! I would love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you think that I could use yogurt in place of kefir for this bread? I killed my kefir grains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. No, April. Yogurt does not have yeasts in it like kefir. You could use yogurt to add a bit of a sour taste, but you'd also have to add some yeast to make it rise.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...