Thursday, October 21, 2010

Kefir - Chapter 10



Here is my kefir shelf in the kitchen.
From left to right, you can see~

1. Jar of milk kefir
2. Jar containing Milk Kefir Grains and the goat milk it is fermenting
3. Water kefir brewing (on top of the jar is this.)
4. 2 bottles of water kefir grape soda

I no longer store my kefired (is that a word?) milk in the refrigerator, and I like this system much better. I put the kefir grains into a jar, cover with fresh goat milk, cover with a coffee filter and rubber band, and let it sit for 24 hours. I strain it through a plastic colander that has small holes. Then, I pour the kefired milk into the large jar. I just pour it in every day and when I want to use some, I stir the jar and pour out what I need. I really like the creaminess and complex flavor that this milk kefir has developed. I will be interested to see what happens as we go into the colder months. This is such an easy process, and a very healthy drink! Milk kefir is also very versatile. I have used it to make "kefir cheese" (similar to sour cream or cream cheese), for making a whole wheat sourdough bread that is quite nice, as a substitute for buttermilk in baking, in smoothies, and as an acid ingredient in pre-soaking beans, brown rice, and breakfast oatmeal.

We really enjoy our water kefir soda. The only thing I feed the water kefir grains now is Sucanat. They are very happy and propagate rapidly. After brewing the kefir water, I add half again as much fruit juice and put it in flip-top bottles. Then it sits out for another 24 hours before being refrigerated. Yummy.

For more information, check out my previous Kefir Chapters over to the right..... :)

2 comments:

  1. loves2spin,

    I have enjoyed your posts. I have milk kefir grains and do make milk kefir. Do you have posted somewhere how to make cheese out of milk kefir? I see a dairy in NY is now offering different kinds of cheese commercially made with milk kefir. I would be interested in learning how to make cheese out of milk kefir.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only cheeses I have made with the milk kefir are the drained "cheese" (like yogurt cheese) and also I made a hard cheddar type cheese that I cultured with kefir instead of a mesophilic starter. It is very interesting. I have one piece of it left, in wax, and the last time I opened one, it was at least a year old and has a pleasant flavor, but never really gets "sharp" - as if the kefir just preserves the cheese. You might want to join the Kefir Making Yahoo group and ask for information there. I know that there are those that make very beautiful looking cheeses on there, but I don't have any recipes myself. Please let me know what you find out! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...