Thursday, June 24, 2010

Remember the Egyptian onions?



Earlier this Spring, I posted about Egyptian (walking) onions. Here is how they look now.



Each plant is topped with a cluster of little "sets". Eventually, they will fall over and the sets will take root. Yesterday, on a whim, I ate one raw when I was out there. It was really quite nice! So, I decided an experiment is in order.



Some mustard seeds..



2 bay leaves...



The "sets" all cleaned...



I also added some peppercorns, but do not have a photo here. I put all of these things in a jar with a rubber seal and wire bale and covered the contents well with a brine made of 1.5 Tablespoons salt and 1 quart water.



I went out and found some wild grape leaves and washed them carefully.



I put them in the jar and put 2 clean stones on top. I will let it set on the counter until it starts to get cloudy and a little bubbly, and then transfer it to the fridge for 6 weeks. I'll let you know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...