Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Another use for stale bread



We talked about bread pudding in a recent post. Here is another use for stale bread. I try very hard not to throw food away. I used to have chickens. They would eat almost any scraps from the kitchen, and of course you've seen my compost bins. I have a garbage disposal. I hardly use it at all.... really only if some little tiny bits fall down in there... I call it my "electric chicken." :)

Here is a pan with homemade croutons which I made from a few slices of stale bread. Some of it was the sourdough rye and then there were 2 whole wheat bread heels. Homemade croutons are far superior to anything you could buy in a store.

Croutons

Stale bread
butter
salt and pepper
dried parsley and ground poultry seasoning (or other herbs of your choice)

Cut your bread into little cubes (or bigger ones if you prefer.)
Melt some butter (I used 1/4 cup for this lot) in a skillet and add the bread. Cook, stirring, over medium heat until the bread is thoroughly toasted. Add the seasonings and herbs and stir.

You can use more butter if you like. This is really more of a method than an exact recipe. Store these in an airtight container. Use soon, or freeze for later and re-crisp them in an oven.

Marvelous on a salad!

I am sharing this post on Wardeh's Simple Lives Thursday over at GNOWFGLINS.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...