Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Cantaloupe

We live near Jackson County, Indiana, which is famous for their melons. "Jackson County Melons" is something we look forward to each year. They are abundant and generally are available at low prices.

A neighbor brought us two big ripe cantaloupes yesterday. I had just bought two, and don't want to waste any of it. So here is what I did:

This is a "melon baller."



Here is a cantaloupe cut in have and then I scooped out the seeds with a spoon:



I used the melon baller to scoop out little balls of the ripe cantaloupe:



and placed them on a tray to be "flash frozen." I put the two full trays in the freezer and when they are thoroughly frozen, I will pop all of the little balls into freezer bags and use them in fruit salads later:



Then I scraped all of the extra melon flesh out and...



Put it through the juicer:



I am freezing the juice in ice cube trays. These cubes I will save in freezer bags and use them in fruit smoothies!



This can also be done with other melons ~ watermelon, honeydew, etc.











2 comments:

  1. Really great idea of freezing in small balls to add to salad later on. I just cut them in cubes and freeze them for smoothies but love the idea of adding them to salads.

    Have a great day!

    Mely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. Made me hungry for some melons.
    debbieo

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...