Saturday, August 6, 2011

Slow Oatmeal



This is a picture of my Grandmother. It is her High School graduation picture! She was born in 1883 in Rockville, Indiana. She was always so kind to me and very interested in everything I had to say. I miss her so very much. She passed away in 1974.

When I was about 14, she gave me a set of 4 books by Louisa May Alcott. One of the books was An Old Fashioned Girl. I loved that book and it really caught my imagination. The main character in the book always ate oatmeal for breakfast. Ever since, oatmeal has been my favorite thing to have for breakfast.

I think Gran would be proud of me. I've taken oatmeal to a whole new level. :)

Here is my new friend, a "grain flaker."



This is used for rolling soft grains, such as oat groats, at home. I don't think it can get any fresher or more delicious than that!

Here are the oat groats:



The hopper is loaded on the Flaker:




Then you simply turn the crank until all of the grain is flaked:




When I make oatmeal now, I make more than we need for one meal and store the extra in the refrigerator and just heat it up to eat on subsequent days. Here is the recipe I use:

SLOW OATMEAL

2 cups flaked oat groats
1/4 cup flax seed, ground (I use a little electric coffee grinder for this)
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup live whey (I use whey left from making kefir cheese, or yogurt cheese, or cheddar cheese.)
1/4 teaspoon unrefined salt
4 cups water

The night before, I combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan with a lid and let it sit overnight. Then in the morning, on medium heat, and stirring constantly, I cook the oatmeal until it is as thick as I like:



And I serve it with butter, maple syrup and fresh goat milk!



Here is the little hopper that goes in the bottom of the Grain Flaker. It has a screen through which the "fines" fall. Those fines, of course, should not be discarded, but you might not want them in your oatmeal. Add to bread and casseroles, etc.



The hopper full of flaked oat groats:



Empty funnel that fits the top of the Grain Flaker:



My little coffee grinder that I use for the flax seed. I keep my flax seed in the freezer and so it is cold and hard when I go to grind it. It only takes 10 seconds to grind.



I suppose this is a lot of trouble to go to for oatmeal. For me, it is worth it, since it's one of my favorite foods!

5 comments:

  1. I love oatmeal too. I like to soak it overnight with a bit of whey. Your oatmeal looks yummy.
    debbieo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so going to have to get one of those little gizmos. Most commercial oats, even the organic ones are steamed when they are flaked rendering the phytase to break down the phytic acid. I got steel cut oat groats this time and my kids would love flaking them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, I'm so glad! I am sure you will be happy with it. Did you see the link where I got it? I highly recommend those folks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you ever cooked oatmeal in a Thermos? http://www.thermoscooking.com/steel-cut-oatmeal-recipe/

    I've done this a time or two, and it works pretty well. I also do what I call "savory oatmeal". Instead of using sweetening as is common, I will add salt and pepper and occasionally garlic powder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I've done that, but it would be a great idea, particularly for a camping situation. The savory oatmeal sounds nice. We've cut WAY back on our sweetening of foods, just recently, so I might try that. I LOVE oatmeal!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...