Saturday, July 21, 2012

Preserving Peppers

We've had a bumper crop of peppers this year!  I love to just eat them raw, but the extras need to be saved.  Here they are in my big colander.  First, I washed them:

 Then, I cut out the stem end.  If you like raw peppers as much as I do, you can nip off all of those nice "petals" before discarding the stem:
 
 Cut them in half and scooped out the seeds and membranes:
 Here they are, all ready to dice:
 Cut into strips:
 Then dice!
 Spread on trays or cookie sheets and place them in the freezer:
 When completely frozen, remove from freezer and using a metal spatula, scrape them off of the tray:
 And put them in labeled freezer containers and quickly return them to the freezer!
I will use these during the winter for soups, stir-fries, pizza, and omelets.  :D

Any sort of fresh peppers may be saved this way.  On Monday, I'll do the Jalepenos.

10 comments:

  1. hi I first have to tell you I LOVE reading your blog you have given me so many wonderful homesteading suggestion THANK YOU! I was wondering though would it be ok to do this with peppers from the grocery store..sometimes the store has them really cheap and I use them in everything so if I could this it would greatly help my grocery bill. Thanks a lot! have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Francine, you made my day! Yes, you certainly can freeze peppers from the store.

      Delete
  2. Will they come out crisp when thawed or will they be limp or soggy...I tried this last year, but I froze them directly in the freezer bag.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They will not be crisp, as the freezing bursts the cell membranes, but I only use them in things I cook, so they would get soft anyway.

      Delete
  3. This is something I have done for years and works great! I use this for corn, peppers and most all my fruits and veggies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That 's really nice! Do you blanch your corn before freezing?

      Delete
  4. OR, you could follow these same steps and pop in a dryer (or oven) till properly dried.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was my day yesterday - cutting up and freezing peppers. One of the farmers at our market had an amazing deal on them (3/$1 and they were huge), and even though I had already frozen a bunch from the garden, I couldn't pass it up. I love to sautee some to mix in with scrambled eggs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great deal! And a good menu suggestion too. :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...