I started out with a piece of white muslin. See, here is the back of it. I randomly placed several (maybe 4) overlapping layers of differently-sized pieces of cotton print scraps of fabric on top of the muslin. Then, on top of that I put the olive colored print that you can see in the top picture better if you "click" on it. Next, I pinned it all together in several places and took it to the sewing machine where I stitched it around and around beginning in the center and using the side of the pressure foot as a guide.
When that was done, I used a sharp pair of scissors to cut in between the stitching round and round. That was a little fiddly, but my scissors were a bit large for the task. I have since purchased a smaller pair for my next project of this nature. (I have ideas.:) Finally, I put it through the washer and dryer, so it would fray.
Here is a close-up view. You can see the small amount of embroidery I did on it.
At the center, you can see the white muslin peaking through and the layers of fabrics.
Well, anyway, I like it, and on this snowy winter day, enjoyed showing you.