Friday, December 5, 2014
Salmon Pot Pie !
2 unbaked pie crusts (recipe below)
2/3 cup brown rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 1/3 cups water
1 large onion, sliced thinly
1 small can mushrooms, drained
1 Tablespoon butter
1.5 cups homemade stock or broth
3 Tablespoons corn starch
14.5 ounce canned Salmon, drained
1 cup shredded cheese
1. Bring water to boil in small saucepan. Add rice and salt. Cover, simmer for 45 minutes. Be sure to watch water level. Don't let it run completely dry.
2. Preheat oven to 450 F.
3. Put one of the crusts in a 9 inch pie pan.
4. Sautee sliced onions in butter until soft, and then add the drained mushrooms and cook a little longer.
5. Mix corn starch into broth or stock, stirring, bring to a boil and simmer until thick. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Taste and see if it needs more salt.
6. Mix the thickened broth with the rice and put half of it in the bottom crust.
7. Drain and mash the canned salmon. Spread that in the pie now.
8. Spread the onions and mushrooms next.
9. Pour in the rest of the rice mixture and spread that around.
10. Sprinkle on the cheese.
11. Add the top crust. Trim. Flute the edges. Protect edges with foil or one of THESE.
12. Bake for 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 350 F. and bake for 30 more minutes. Remove from oven.
13. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, slice and serve!
This is very very good. :)
How I made the crust -
In the bowl of a food processor, with the metal blade, put:
2 cups unbleached flour
1 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup cold butter, cut in chuncks
Process that until the butter is cut in little pieces, then -
Turn on the processor and begin slowly adding COLD milk, a little at a time, until the dough is soft, but not sticky.