Saturday, March 28, 2015

A Tiny Baking Tip...

I accidentally discovered something that has improved my baking considerably! When I can, I like to use whole grains (as opposed to white flour) in baking.  For years I've gone back and forth between using whole wheat flour in our cornbread and was never happy with it, so then I'd relent and go back to using unbleached white flour... until today!

Ta Da!!!

A while back I purchased some King Arthur Whole Wheat Pastry Flour to use in pie crusts.  It is very nice.  It is also a wonderful substitute for unbleached white flour!  (If you are not a baker, you will not quite understand my elation.)  I buy this flour at a bulk food store about a half-hour's drive away.

I made corn bread.


It is moist and tender and wonderful, as opposed to dry and crumbly.  

Here is my recipe:

Corn Bread

Pre-heat oven to 425 F.
Butter a pyrex 9 x 9 baking pan

In a mixing bowl, combine the following:

1 cup whole ground yellow corn meal
1 cup King Arthur's whole wheat pastry flour
1/3 cup sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Whisk together, then add:

1 large egg
2 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (or melted butter)
1 cup whole milk

Stir it all together with a fork and then pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake for 20 - 25 minutes until it tests done.

Serve with butter!

2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm going to try this, mainly because I have a bag of whole wheat pastry flour in the refrigerator and I don't remember buying it and never knew what to do with it. I like unbleached white for my pie crusts.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...