Friday, September 4, 2015

Vegan Goodie Balls

I wanted to make some cookies for a vegan friend of mine... hmmmm... how can I make cookies with no milk, eggs or butter?  Aha!  I adapted my "Goodie Ball" recipe, and it turned out very nicely.  Here is the picture and the recipe follows.
Vegan Goodie Balls

In an appropriately sized mixing bowl, combine:

Some natural peanut butter
About half that much honey
Chia seeds - enough to stiffen it up nicely
Raisins
Sunflower seeds

Of course, you'll have to use your own head to decide how much of the add-ins to use.  You can start with any amount of peanut butter.  In fact, I made just ONE first to see if it would be nice.  And it was.  :)

Roll this mixture into little balls and then roll them in Sucanat.

That's it!

Yummy, healthy, and totally vegan!

5 comments:

  1. Exactly how do these chia seeds work? How do they hold them together? Do you need to soak them? Grind them? I don't think I have ever seen them in the store, not even in the natural foods/bulk area.

    Just want to warn you though, depending on her depth of veganism, that some vegans do not consider honey a vegan food. I have one child who has been vegan 3 x over the last few years and always going back to just ovo-lacto vegetarian. So during those vegan times, it is no honey. There are many that don't consider honey a problem, though.
    I know agave is being touted as the big substitute for vegan sweetener but it is being mass produced now due to the demand, it is not usually organic, and is very expensive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here are a couple of places you can source chia seeds:

      http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Organic-Chia-Seeds-Pounds/dp/B00U6UFR98/ref=sr_1_2?s=grocery&ie=UTF8&qid=1441405274&sr=1-2&keywords=chia+seeds

      https://stores.myregisteredsite.com/user1367716/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=SBNF&Category_Code=1819

      Delete
  2. The chia seeds just make it thicker, so you can roll it into balls. I have used both milk powder or shredded coconut in the past. I don't think he is a strict vegan. He's a Mormon missionary serving here right now, and he readily admits he might have to bend while he's here. But he was thrilled with these! I made them for both him and his companion, of course, but always try to keep his needs in mind. His family is vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you store them in the refrigerator? They seem like truffles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I don't, but I have A/C. If I lived in a hot home, like I used to, then I would. They can be refrigerated, tightly wrapped, of course.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...