Saturday, November 17, 2018

Red Lentil and Brown Rice soup - in the Instant Pot...

This recipe is not original with me.  I found the basic recipe at www.allrecipes.com and modified it for the Instant Pot. We are in our 3rd day of a power outage because of a freezing rain storm. My husband has a gasoline powered generator that we are using to keep our food cold in the fridge and the freezer, but also, when it's on, I can do a little cooking.  I just can't use the kitchen range, as it draws too much power.  Each afternoon, my sweet husband hauls the generator over to the neighbor and hooks it up there for their freezer.  He's a good man.

So, he deserves good food.  Today we are having scrambled eggs, made in the electric skillet, the Red Lentil and Brown Rice soup, cooked in an Instant Pot, and cornbread baked in an Instant Pot.  My tummy is telling me it's time to eat.  I'm just waiting for the cornbread to get done.  :)

Red Lentil and Brown Rice Soup - Instant Pot

With the IP set on "saute", cook together, stirring until onions are wilting:

1 coarsely chopped red onion
3 minced garlic cloves
2 Tablepoons extra-virgin California olive oil

Add the following, put on the lid, set to seal and cook for 35 minutes on manual. Let it cool for 10 minutes, and then quick release and open the pot, carefully

4 cups vegetable broth ( I made my "broth" using 4 teaspoons Better than Bouillon vegetable broth paste.)
1, 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 1/4 cup red lentils
1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
1 T Italian Seasoning
1 T. dried celery flakes
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp. dried marjoram

Adjust salt and pepper to your liking.

This soup is really delicious, nice and thick and comforting on this cold day in Indiana!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...