Thursday, January 25, 2018

Cole Slaw - that I like - AT LAST !!!

My whole life, until the last few weeks, I've hated had an uncertain relationship with "Cole Slaw." Everyone else in the entire world seems to like it.  I've tried numerous recipes through the years and either they tasted awful to me or just so - so.  But now!  I've conquered it, at last! I realize, Gentle Readers, that many among you are not adverse to the taste of Cole Slaw.  This has been a personal quest.  I mean, what am I supposed to do with all of that cabbage that I grow other than just cook it with corned beef and potatoes, or make it into sauerkraut?

Voila!

Here is a picture of the new version of Cole Slaw:


I will show you how this came about, and share my Recipe (more a method, really.)  Here is the temperature this morning; a lovely 70.1 F inside and 24.4 F outside: 


Come with me, we are going to the garden...

See that?


That is a simple Hoop House that my husband constructed over the bed of kale that I planted last spring.  Here we are, closer:


Now I will open up the end and give you a look inside.


Since the light is so bright, you can't see how the hoop house really looks inside, but you can see that there is a lot of perfectly happy Curly Scotch Kale in there.  It will stand all winter, and when it is a little warmer, it will even continue to grow.  If we have a warmish day, or one that is very sunny, I open up the ends of the structure so it won't overheat.

Here is how I am making the Cole Slaw that I love:

I use a food processor to thinly shred the following:  (A very sharp knife could be used as well, of course.)

Some fresh cabbage
1/3 as much fresh kale leaves, stems removed

Then I use the processor, again, and grate these ingredients:

Some carrot
A small amount of onion
Some celery (from freezer)
Some sweet pepper (from freezer)

Mix all of the vegetables together and then I add homemade mayonnaise until it's as moist as I like, then a nice squirt of prepared yellow mustard, some salt, and a big dollop of home canned sweet pickle relish.

Stir all of that well, taste and see if it needs anything.

That's it!  Now, of course, you can use the basic ingredients and tweek this for what you have on hand, etc...  

I am so happy to have a way to eat the kale raw that tastes good to me.  The only other way that I really like kale is in soup or Colcannon. Kale chips are very popular, but I am not a fan as it takes a lot of trouble for only a small amount of food.

I have to mention, though, that I actually canned some kale this year, early on, and I DO like it that way.  I only put up 3 pints, as an experiment, but I think I will try to do more next year.


Oh, yes... here is my mayonnaise recipe:

MAYONNAISE

In a medium-sized bowl combine:

3 egg yolks (if you are not worried about the safety of raw eggs)
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1.5 Tablespoons (one and one-half) raw apple cider vinegar
1 cup extra-virgin olive oil (or 1/2 EVOO and 1/2 Avocado oil)
sea salt, to taste (about 8 pinches)

I use an immersion blender to blend this all together and it takes only moments to do.  I used to do it in a stand blender, drizzling in the olive oil very slowly and that works fine, but takes a lot more time.

According to Gnowfglins, if you add a Tablespoon of live whey to this and let it sit out on the counter for 7 hours before putting it in the fridge, it will keep much longer, but if you are going to use it within a week, I wouldn't worry about that.

5 comments:

  1. That is a wonderful idea! I tolerate coleslaw, but think the addition of kale sounds great. I like to add kale to Dublin Coddle as well...SO good. http://whatscookin4milesnorthofnowhere.blogspot.com/2017/02/dublin-coddle-with-kale.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Dublin Coddle sounds wonderful. Thank you for the link! :) I find that the addition of the sweet pickle relish makes it taste very good.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for such a lovely sounding coleslaw recipe. I will keep this in mind for the next time I make it.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU for commenting! I always love getting comments and they are few... I hope you enjoy your cole slaw!

      Delete
  3. We prefer vinegar based coleslaw as opposed to mayonnaise. I'm glad you found a recipe you like.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...