Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Hankies...



                 You may not be aware that there was a time, when I was a young child, when there were no such things as Kleenex (facial tissues.) We all (men and women) had pocket handkerchiefs (hankies.) When I was a little girl, my blessed mommy, who adopted me when I was 3 and my parents died, sent me to the local Assembly of God church.  I attended their wonderful Sunday school. That is where I first learned to love Jesus. I always carried a hankie in my pocket with my little coins for an offering tied into the corner of it. We had opening exercises and then would divide into classes.  The teacher would pass a little basket around the room and we’d put our offerings in there.  Then she would open the classroom door and set the basket on the floor outside of the room, and close the door.  She told us that the money was for Jesus. I thought if she’d just leave the door open, we could see Him come and get it.
                Now, a hankie is something you put in your pocket and use the same one all day. Then it goes into the laundry. Yes, that’s what we always did.  I still use hankies a lot of the time. There may come a time when you are out of money and out of Kleenex at the same time, so you might want to make or purchase some pocket hankies, just in case.
                For these hankies, I cut some lovely soft pink flannel into 10 inch squares. My sewing machine has the decorative overcast stitch you see in the picture.  I do not have a serger, or I could have used that. After I did the line of stitching all the way around the perimeter I then used those little scissors to trim off the excess fabric.  When I launder these, they will fray a small amount, but that will quickly subside.
These are very nice.


                


                

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...