Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Kefir - Chapter 17

It has been over a year since I posted anything about kefir.  I still LOVE my milk kefir and drink some of it every day.  Like anything else I do for a long time, I refine my method as time goes on.  When I first began brewing kefir, I got my information on Dom's Kefir website.  It is a treasure trove of information... more than you can imagine.  If you would like to see, check it out HERE.

I had been led to believe that it is important to never use any metal with milk kefir production.  Now, however, I use a stainless steel mesh strainer to strain out my kefir grains.



For a long long time, I used a paper coffee filter and a rubber band to cover the brewing jar.  Now I just use a plastic lid and leave it loosely on the jar.



I used to put my grains in a pre-determined amount of fresh goat milk. (You may use any kind of milk.) But now, I just add enough milk to cover the grains well.

I used to strain out the kefir grains after 24 hours and then let the fermented milk sit at room temperature for another 24 hours before using.  Now, since I use a relatively small amount of milk, as soon as I strain it, I add it to my jar of liquid kefir in the refrigerator.



All of these changes together have made the process, at least for me, more streamlined, and my kefir is smooth and thick and lovely.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...